Friday, January 29, 2010

Think celebs don't understand what it's like to have a "real" job?

Think again...

•George Clooney - In his native Kentucky, Clooney sold men's suits and shoes and worked in department store stockrooms. He also cut tobacco, earning $3 an hour. Upon arriving in L.A., he did odd jobs for his aunt, singer-actress Rosemary Clooney, worked construction and cleaned a theater to pay for acting lessons.

•Katie Couric - CBS' perky evening anchor landed her first job as a desk assistant at ABC, where she worked for veteran news anchor Sam Donaldson.

•Ellen Degeneres - "The worst job I ever had -- and I lasted a half a day -- was I worked in a glove factory in Atlanta, Texas. It was horrible. I was checking for too many fingers or a hole or something and gloves would just go by ... Everything I did that was a nine-to-five job I hated ... I worked in a law firm. I was a court runner. I just hated being in an office."

•Faith Hill - Way before she was Mrs. Tim McGraw, selling more than 30 million records and earning countless awards, Faith Hill was trying to make it big in Nashville. Hill sold T-shirts at the renowned country music event Fan Fair, worked as a receptionist at a music-publishing company, and packaged fan merchandise for country legend Reba McEntire.

•John Krasinski - Before he was making us wish he worked in our office, John Krasinski was a script intern on "Late Night with Conan O'Brien."

•Vince Vaughn - If Vaughn ever decides to change careers, he could probably be pretty successful going back to his first job. Before he was a "Swinger" or "Wedding Crasher," the actor who's known for his quick-and-slick talking performances, worked as a telemarketer in Waukegan, Ill.

•Denzel Washington - His very first job at a local barbershop when he was just 11 years old. "I learned about business ... Just about the value of a dollar," Washington said on "The Oprah Winfrey Show." "I was brushing collars. I think my base salary was $11. And I could turn that into 50 if I was good."

No comments:

Post a Comment